Friday, May 31, 2013

Plein Air Challenge: Day 11

I've been really good so far about keeping a schedule, which I'm finding is very necessary for a challenge such as this.  My other painting committments didn't stop during this challenge.  In fact, I have several pieces that need to be finished soon in my studio.  Therefore, my routine has been to take my son to preschool then go straight out to paint.  Then spend the remaining day in my studio.  Even on days such as this when it's raining and I would most likely hold off painting outdoors until another day - I still do it!  I've been happy with my results so far.  It's a nice feeling to know that I got something good out of a day I would normally not go out!  And I keep rediscovering things that should seem obvious. For example, if you want atmosphere, go paint in the rain.


"Vera Road In Rain" oil 6x8 ©Kim Casebeer

2 comments:

  1. Kim, were you under shelter during the rain (umbrella, car hatch, porch, or anything) ....just curious. There are days when I think I'd get back out there if it weren't drizzling, or snowing, or howling wind. Back when I had my van I'd attempt to paint from the front seat in bad weather. But since I usually stand to paint I found sitting (in the car anyways) very claustrophobic! Also, do you use an oil primed canvas? I have painted in the rain (in Ireland) next to friends who were using acrylic gessoed canvas & it absorbed so much rain that their paint would not adhere. (Acted sort of like a batik resist, not so good!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roxanne,
    I have a Pathfinder with a hatch that goes up and was painting under that. Just positioned the vehicle so my view was from behind the car. It sits a little low, but I make due. Better than painting in rain! I have painted in drizzle before and usually use the acrylic primed Raymar panels, though I'm starting to use the SourceTek oil primed ones. I haven't had that terrible experience with the acrylic canvas but I can believe that could happen in heavy rain. After all, part of what people like about acrylic priming is the absorbancy.

    ReplyDelete