Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Plein Air Challenge: Day 17

Just playing with atmosphere and texture today. (Atmosphere is code for rain!).  Yes it's raining again.  I set up under a big oak tree which at first provided a pretty nice shelter.  Then the rain got really heavy and the shelter didn't do the job.  It's a good thing water and oil don't mix.  Although I've had a few comments on this blog about a resist happening when painting on acrylic primed canvas, and I must say I experienced that a little bit.  Painting thicker seemed to solve the problem.  I would be very curious if anyone else has had this experience and what they did to help it.  I haven't tried painting on oil primed linen in the rain, so that's next.

A Rainy Wednesday, oil, 6x6 ©Kim Casebeer

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kim, I got caught in the rain using Centurion OP (oil primed) DLX linen once and I had a heck of a time getting the paint to stick. It was a slick mess. I too laid the paint on thicker to compensate. That seemed to be the only thing that worked. I've been told that my experience isn't necessarily the norm for oil primed linens, and while I don't use it anymore, I've yet to get caught in the rain again to see how the linen I use now holds up. Thought I'd pass that along, for whatever it's worth. Your work looks great as always.
    Take care.
    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that information, Troy. Interesting, I thought an oil primed linen wouldn't have that trouble. I have periodically taken my pochade off the tripod to dump the water out and shake the painting off when really bad. That helps a little. I'm not familiar with Centurion so I'm wondering if it's a smoother surface? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem is that although the ground feels like it would be fairly absorbent when you run your hand over it, it actually isn't. It's a Creative Mark product, and a good one, I just didn't care for the way it took the paint, and so I've switched to something that pulls the paint off the brush a little easier. However, there are quite a few people who swear by it, so each to his own, I guess. So a smoother surface? Yeah, in the respect that it's somewhat slick as far as adhesion goes, as texture wise it's really no smoother than most other general purpose weave linens. And I agree, I wouldn't think OP linens would have that problem either. Speaking of which, now you've got me thinking about heading to the sink to see how my current linen performs. Anything to waste time and make a mess. LOL
    Take care Kim.

    ReplyDelete